2017 Conference CNE Information
The continuing nursing education (CNE) activities for this conference have been designed to meet the educational needs of nurses and other health care providers involved in the holistic practice of health care and daily living who are interested in enhancing their practice through the process of reflection.
The purpose of this conference is to enable participants to integrate the skills, concepts and knowledge of the science of health and wellness into innovative, transcendent models of healthcare, grounded in the philosophy of holism.
Twenty-first century healthcare presents an opportunity to not only transform current, largely ineffective illness models of care, but to transcend these, shifting attention toward a focus on health, wellness and well-being. This dramatic paradigm shift requires healthcare practitioners that are innovative, willing to envision possibility and committed to the caring foundation from which all healthcare must rise. Seminal among these healthcare practitioners are 21st century Holistic Nurses. Holistic Nurses are ‘grounded-visionaries’. Experts in the science of health and wellness, Holistic Nurses use evidence-based holistic and conventional nursing interventions in an integrated practice, applied within the context of Holistic Nursing core values. Through the integration of science, theory and the art of caring, Holistic Nurses support people on their healing journey.
During this conference, participants will explore the 21st century Holistic Nurse. Educational sessions will include a myriad of opportunities for all Holistic Nurses to consider in the shaping of 21st century healthcare. Ideas about innovative models of care, strategic resource management, mindful use of technology, interprofessional collaboration, diversity within the healthcare team, and enhancing the consumer’s ability to have voice in their care are among the topics that will be offered. Holistic self-development continues as integral to Holistic Nurse self-care. During this conference, a forum will be created where Holistic Nurses can dialogue about professional practice issues such as Advanced Holistic Nursing Practice, Educational and Legislative mandates – issues that create barriers to Holistic Nurses practicing to the full extent of their education and expertise.
1. Examine the concepts of the science of health and wellness.
2. Explore the Holistic Nursing Scope & Standards of Professional Practice and the Holistic Nursing Core Values within the science of health and wellness.
3. Value the importance of holism as the foundation for the transformation and transcendence of contemporary healthcare models.
4. Create a forum to dialogue about professional practice issues and the opportunities and barriers for all Holistic Nurses to practice to the full extent of their education and practice.
5. Explore innovative models of healthcare.
6. Discuss strategies designed to enhance resource utilization and the mindful use of technology to promote positive healthcare outcomes.
7. Compare and contrast evidence-based and evidence-informed integrated practices.
8. Promote the development of an interprofessional network of healthcare practitioners committed to 21st century healthcare transformation and transcendence.
9. Examine educational and legislative implications aligned with the paradigm shift toward health and wellness.
10. Explore your role as a 21st century Holistic Nurse, a ‘grounded-visionary’, committed to reshaping health and wellness.
11. Develop a personal action plan to contribute to the transformation and transcendence of healthcare in the 21st century.
12. Engage in self-reflection to discover and appreciate the importance of your personal holistic self-development.
Conflicts of Interest: The following conference planning committee members(s) disclosed having no relevant financial relationship with any company/ organization whose products or services may be discussed during the conference activities: Sharon Murnane RN, HNB-BC, HTCP; Pamela Potenzo BSN; Lori Johnson RN, MSN, OCN, AHN-BC; Angela Hernandez RN, MSN; Deborah Shields PhD, RN, CCRN, QTTT, AHN-BC; Debra Rose Wilson PhD, MSN, RN, IBCLC, CHT, AHN-BC; Lourdes Lorenze RN, DHA-ABD, MSN, AHN-BC, NEA-BC.
Presenters with relevant financial relationships will be disclosed here in the future and will be printed on session handouts or slides.
Non-Endorsement: Accredited status does not imply endorsement by AHNA or ANCC of any products displayed in conjunction with any conference activity.
Sponsorship & Commercial Support: The conference has not yet received any sponsorship or commercial support. This statement will be updated as necessary.
Unlabeled Use: Conference CNE activities will not include discussions of products used for purposes other than what they have been approved for by the FDA.
* # of contact hours is subject to change. Presenters cannot receive contact hours for their own presentation. Only paid registrants are eligible to receive contact hours.
The American Holistic Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.