Conference 2013 Request for
Poster, Paper and Panel Proposals
33rd Annual Conference
June 5-8, 2013 ● Norfolk, Virginia
Have you ever been to Norfolk, Virginia during the Harbor Festival? You are in for a pleasant surprise if you haven't! If you have, you know what we are talking about.
AHNA invites you to submit proposals for the 2013 Annual Conference, Holistic Nursing: Oceans of Possibilities. Poster abstracts and Research Papers and Panels presenting study results on selected topics will be accepted until December 1, 2012.
Purpose: The purpose of this conference is to enable holistic nurses to develop and refine knowledge and skills designed to consciously impact healthcare transformation.
Theme: Holistic nurses are poised, locally and globally, to be active participants in the creation of caring/healing healthcare systems. They are experts in their understanding of the relationship between holistic praxis (integrated practice, education and research) and the creation of these environments; however, their contributions and expertise remain unrecognized on a broader scale. This conference will explore possibilities for holistic nurses to deepen their influence in healthcare reform.
The Conference Objectives:
1. Identify opportunities available to holistic nurses for addressing healthcare needs and demands at the local, national and international level.
2. Explore the role of advocacy in holistic nursing as a foundation in creating personal and social change.
3. Examine the skills and resources necessary to manifest change and optimize holistic nursing’s vision, contributions, and impact on health-care evolution.
4. Create strategies to advance holistic nursing’s philosophy and practice in education and practice settings, research, and in the public arena.
5. Engage in reflection to appreciate our individual uniqueness, deepen our awareness, and illuminate our inner wholeness and need for self-care.
6. Equip holistic nurses with skills/approaches to participate meaningfully in the conscious development of an action plan designed to impact healthcare transformation.
Topic: All proposals must address the Purpose, Theme and at least one of the conference objectives.
Topics may address holistic nursing:
• Practice • Education • Research • Aesthetics • Personal & Professional Development
Categories of Presentations:
CONFERENCE: Thursday, Friday & Saturday, JUNE 6 - 8, 2013
Research Papers - 3 papers are presented per 1.5 hour paper session - 20 minutes for presentation plus 10 minutes for Q & A per paper (6-9 papers will be selected)
Research Panels/Symposia submissions - are research presentations that are linked by a common topic or thread. Panels/Symposia applicants are encouraged and we ask that you complete in Proposal Space under Research Paper each presenters paper/topic separately for the submission and mention the title of the other papers that will be considered with your submission as a Panel. Do not list the other presenters by name in the text of your submission, just include the titles of their presentations to facilitate the blind review process.
Poster sessions - are held at various times during the conference. Authors are expected to be with their poster for approximately 4 hours of designated viewing times in order to talk with participants and answer questions
• Research posters (20 will be selected)
• Non-Research posters (20 will be selected)
Guidelines for Submission:
1. Access Proposal Forms using the links below
Note: Proposal Space is the vendor AHNA uses for submission of Conference Proposals in all categories. You must register for a LOG IN on the Proposal Space site in order to submit a proposal. This allows you to register all your demographic information, establish a password so that as you are submitting proposals (up to 3) you can save them and go back and edit them before the final submission deadline. Proposal Space will not accept your Member Log In information for the AHNA website, you must register at thier site seperately unless you have registered there to submit a proposal in 2011.
2. Complete Proposals by December 1, 2012
3. Additional information may be requested from review committee prior to selection
4. Limit of 3 proposals per person/group
5. Direct questions to: email@example.com or 1(800) 278-2462 Ext. 16
Review & Selection Process:
• Only fully completed proposals will be reviewed
• All proposals are blinded and peer-reviewed
• Additional information may be requested
(click on the link below for the type of proposal you want to submit)
Research Papers and Panels/ Symposia
(note: for Panels/ Symposia, see special instructions above under "Categories of Presentions")
Non Research Posters
In addition to filling out one of the above applications at Proposal Space, we also ask that you download and fill out the:
Educational Activity Outline (MS Word doc)
Notice of acceptance of poster, paper and panel propsoals will be made, via email, on or before February 1, 2013. Instructions regarding preparation of presentation for the conference will be included with the acceptance notice.