Quick Relaxation Techniques
for Busy People
Copyright of the following material belongs to Vesna Gvozdenovic, RN HNC, CEO nonprofit organization “Holistic Perspectives”
If you ever heard yourself saying that you “don’t have time to relax”, these quick relaxation techniques are ideal for you. You can time them from 2-3 minutes during your peak business hours to 10-15 minutes in the evening, before you go to sleep.
It is easy to use these techniques when you are talking on the phone, driving to and back from work, washing dishes or walking the dog. All it takes is realization that it is possible to quickly turn your stress into “feeling good”condition of your body, mind and spirit.
- Start by making an affirmation: “It is my time to relax and feel good” and follow the statement with a big smile on your face.
- Inhale through your nose into your belly and chest, slowly and deeply, hold your breath for 2-3 seconds and exhale slowly, completely emptying your chest and then your belly -- relaxing your whole body at the same time.
- Repeat breathing slowly, 3-5 times, as it feels comfortable, and feel your tension melting away and leaving your body each time you exhale.
- Follow your breathing with as many positive affirmations as you like:
- “I feel soooooooo relaxed”
- “My body will stay relaxed the whole day”
- “My body is relaxed, my mind is loving, my spirit is at peace”
Make your own affirmations, based on your situation and condition, always with the positive attitude. Following are some ideas of how to expand your affirmations to achieve a higher level of relaxation for your whole being, by directing them to other people:
- “I am spreading this relaxed feeling to everyone around me”
- “I am at peace and I spread peace everywhere I go”
- “I will teach at least one person how to relax to feel better”
Conclude this mini relaxation break with a gentle stretch and as you get ready to resume your activity, and keep the relaxed feeling in your body, for the whole day.
Return to Stress Reduction Articles.