SAVE THE DATE AHNA Global Health Healing Traditions: Amazon 2022
Trip Dates: Leave USA Saturday, March 5th, to arrive in Iquitos, Peru, Sunday, March 6th 2022.
Leave Iquitos, Peru, Saturday, March 12th, arriving back to USA Sunday, March 13th 2022.
First night in Iquitos, Peru participants will stay at the Victoria Regina Hotel, then travel by river to Heliconia Resort Lodge http://www.heliconialodge.com.pe/-2 in the jungle for, 4 nights and 5 days. Final night of the trip will be lodged in Iquitos to prepare for flights home. Trip Price includes all lodging, travel on-site and meals. Travel to and from Iquitos Peru is not included and needs to be arranged separately. All-inclusive of food and non-alcoholic beverages, buffet style meals.
Course Focus: In this Nursing Continuing Professional Development course, participants will experientially learn about Amazonian healing paradigms and indigenous healing arts within the jungle of Peru, and how they compare and contrast with our modern medicine. Participants will explore the role of medicinal plants and spirituality in healing. Pre-trip reading and preparation will facilitate course outcomes.
The focus of this experiential course is to understand:
● the interrelatedness of the rainforest flora and fauna, the health of earth that supports them and the connections to the health of humans.
● introductory knowledge on the use of rainforest medicinal plants by local Peruvian peoples, the science known about the plants active properties, and the ubiquitous spirit that is behind all that heals. This content will be introduced by the course facilitator and local cultural guides.
● the opportunity to re-spirit healthcare in the deep understanding of the importance of ecological medicine by connecting with local jungle healers and learning how their intimate relationship with the healing spirits of nature and their knowledge of the medicinal plants positively impact body, mind and spiritual health.
Experiential learning to include:
● Limpia ceremony upon arrival to the Jungle lodge
● Forest bathing in the form of jungle medicinal plant walks under the guidance of local guides.
● Daily excursions on the Amazon River and jungle hikes to view local flora and fauna.
● Rainforest village visit to immerse in local culture and support local artisans and rural communities.
● Tour of local Amazon Clinic, hosted by Dr. Linnea Smith, MD
● Fishing opportunity for those interested.
● Daily Self Care opportunities to renew, reflect and restore personal health and well-being.
● Closing Copal ceremony, under the guidance of course leaders.
Participation is limited to 14 AHNA members, double occupancy. A formal informational session will be held in September and October to learn more about the trip and answer questions, facilitated by the course leaders. To receive an invitation to learn more in a virtual Information Session, click here..
Trip Price is $2,860.00 per person, double occupancy.
This Amazonian educational experience, has previously been facilitated by Connie when offered by CE, For-Credit, and Travel Study through:
o Winona State University
o University of Minnesota, Center for Spirituality and Healing
o Ohio Northern College of Pharmacy
o Wolters Kluwer Evidence-Based CAM Research Group
A pharmacist by education, Connie Grauds, PhD(c), MNPA, RPh, is a personal Healthcare Advocate (http://www.healthcare-advocacy.com/). She has served as President of the Association of Natural Medicine Pharmacists; Director of Allied Health, Minneapolis Community and Technical College; Adjunct Faculty, University of Minnesota, Center for Spirituality and Healing; and served as staff for Health Force Minnesota. Grauds inspired life has spanned 25 years of experience with the indigenous people of the Amazon. She widely inspires and empowers others with her teachings of the healing powers of nature and spirit (www.conniegrauds.com). With a Master’s Degree in non-profit administration, Grauds is dedicated to Amazon conservation, and serves as Executive Director of the Living Amazon Peru Project (www.LivingAmazonPeru.org). Grauds has She is widely recognized as America’s leading natural medicine pharmacist. Trained in Western Medicine, alternative and integrative medicine, as well as indigenous healing arts, Grauds is author of several books, including Amazon Speaks–as goes the Amazon so do we all, The Energy Prescription–a remedy for energy and vitality, Jungle Medicine–from medicine to magic, and others.
Jane Foote, EdD, MSN, RN is the current Treasurer of AHNA and works full time at Mayo Clinic as the Program Director for Midwest Nursing Academic Affairs. Jane is also a tenured Professor Emeritus of Nursing at Winona State University in Rochester, Minnesota. She has taught a variety of courses including electives in Integrated Nursing. She is currently a board member of the Southeastern Minnesota Holistic Nurses chapter of AHNA, and a Reiki level three practitioner. Prior to her current role, Dr. Foote was the Dean of Health Sciences and Nursing at Minneapolis Community and Technical College, and has held various other faculty roles since 1991.