Accomplishments and Activities
• Due to the efforts of AHNA, holistic nursing is now officially recognized by the American Nurses Association (ANA) as a nursing specialty with a defined scope and standards of practice, acknowledging holistic nursing’s unique contribution to the health and healing of people and society.
• Membership is very stable, and now stands at 4,400, including 151 local networks across the U.S. and abroad.
• AHNA has been re-accredited for 5 years with the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) as a provider and approver of continuing nursing education.
• We now offer online CNE contact hour activities for the JHN and Beginnings magazine.
• Webinars are now offered several times a year for contact hours and a home-study, recorded version is available too.
• We’ve increased the publication of Beginnings magazine to 6 times/ year and have given it a sleek new look. Articles will be more diverse and topical including news about AHNA and current holistic nursing research. We are now also offering the opportunity to earn continuing nursing education (CNE) credits with each issue.
• The AHNA eNewsletter is now published twice a month and offers more useful tips and resources for nurses across varying specialties and practice settings.
• We have expanded the AHNA Research Committee. The Research eNewsletter continues to provide cutting edge information. We also developed an on-line holistic research library for nurses and the general public.
• The AHNA Practice Committee was very active this year and has been preparing to launch Community Building Calls and a Practice eNewsletter in 2012.
• We have added a Geriatric Resource Center to our website.
• The Foundations of Holistic Nursing home-study course is available to assist in the preparation for becoming certified
• More than $50,000 has been awarded to AHNA members for scholarships and research grants in the past ten years.
• 400 people attended our conference this past year.
• More than 6,700 people “like” our Facebook page and numbers continue to grow. We have active LinkedIn discussions, and people post daily to our Facebook wall.
• Our website has an average of 18,000 hits per month.
In the coming year, we will focus on growing our membership and enhancing our services.